Friday 5 August 2011

Diet Orangina Pork (Sweet n Sour stylee)

Always one to continue prodding things with sticks long after everyone else has lost interest, I decided to invent a variation on the Diet Coke Chicken recipe from last week. I was expecting it to end up in the bin but it was bloody brilliant and I will definitely be cooking it again.




I can't tell you quantities because I do everything by eye and I don't think you can go too far wrong. 

Ingredients:
  • Diet Orangina - I imagine Fanta or similar would also work, I just got sucked in by the dimpley bottle.
  • Lean pork, cut into chunks, any visible fat removed (Free on Red & Extra Easy100g (raw) as Healthy Extra B on Green or 1.5 syns per 11g (raw weight)
  • Pineapple chunks (once cooked = 1.5 syns per 28g for fresh, not sure about tinned) 
  • Mixed peppers, cut into chunks
  • Onion, cut into chunks
  • Passata
  • Soy Sauce
  • Salt
In a saucepan fry off the pork with the peppers and onion, add at least half of the Orangina (if you add too much you can pour it off later) and pineapple, simmer for a few minutes.  Add the passata and soy sauce and continue to simmer until thickened and reduced. I baked mine in the oven for 10 minutes towards the end to improve the flavour. Sprinkle salt over to create the 'sour'.

Serve with salad on a red day or couscous, rice or potato wedges on Green or Extra Easy.

What's next - Dr Pepper Steak?  Coq au Vimto?

2 comments:

  1. You need to create a recipe involving Ginzano!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe a flan with Ginzano glaze? But there are 6.5 syns per Ginzano so I won't be able to taste-test it.

    ReplyDelete